About the Job
In the UI/UX Designer role, you'll design simple and delightful experiences for a wide range of complex software products.
The work is fun and challenging, and it often ends up being about much more than just design. For example, our UI/UX designers are commonly involved in strategy and planning discussions, user interviews and research, prototyping, and lots of creative problem solving.
In addition to extensive work in UX/UI for software products (usually web and mobile), you'll likely have opportunity to work on branding, logo creation, print, and signage design --although none of those skills are strictly required, and the main focus really is on planning, designing, and testing / improving great software products.
To that end, the main focus of your work will be working with fellow UX designers, clients, product managers, and software engineers to craft experiences that make our clients and their users happy.
In addition to regular client work, there are also internal software projects to design.
One of the upshots of that is that there will be lots of opportunities to work on some of the most interesting new projects in Utah, as well as opportunities for advancement --including potentially getting in on the ground floor of what we think will be some of the most interesting and exciting new tech projects around.
What We Need...
What You Need...
- 2+ years of experience in UX and product design (or an amazing portfolio)
- Experience with Sketch and/or the Adobe Creative Suite or similar design applications
- A strong portfolio with mobile and web-based projects
- Beefy UX chops - experience creating user stories, user flow diagrams, sitemaps, wireframes, prototypes, etc
- Traditional print, illustration, and/or photography understanding is a big plus
- HTML & CSS skills are a big plus
- Boardgaming skills and an interest in great rock music are also a major plus (Just kidding --but those things certainly wouldn't hurt.)
- Design cross-platform experiences and user-friendly flows that are as intuitive as they are beautiful
- Research and advocate for the use of latest and best practices in interface design
- Conduct whiteboard exercises with clients at the earliest stages of their product idea to better understand features and requirements
- Effectively communicate design decisions to clients and stakeholders
- Seek, discuss, and apply feedback
- Improve our design processes to create the most positive experience for clients, developers, and other stake holders
- Be pleasant to work with and proactive about delivering the best possible design / experience to our clients and their users
MORE ABOUT START STUDIO
Based in Provo, START STUDIO is a software and development shop positioned at the forefront of the Utah startup and technology scene. We work primarily with entrepreneurs and visionaries who want to build their idea from scratch. We also do a fair amount of work on our own internal products (that we'll one day take to market).
We're small enough that your contribution can make a difference, but growing fast enough that owning a small chunk of stock in the company could eventually become quite meaningful.
Apply today and we'll most likely discuss the opportunity over delicious Mexican food. Don't forget to throw a link to your portfolio in the message box.